Thread: Is there a place with GOOD atistic PS brushes?

Is there a place with GOOD atistic PS brushes?

I've been looking all over the net for good photoshop brushes, and while the descriptions are nice, the actual brushes suck. Basically it's a bunch of idiots taking pictures from the web, converting them to brush format, and calling them a "brush". It's ridiculous how many times this happens.

So my question to you REAL artists here, do you know of any artistic brush sets floating around the net? I got a pack from conceptart.org a while back, and it was bad ass, but it died in the great hard drive failure of ought 10, and I can't find it anymore on the CA forums.

A couple specific brushes I'm looking for are:

I know there was a thread at CA.org on Ps brushes, but it didn't have the link I wanted. Dave Rapoza talked about it in one of his vids, and I can't remember which one it was.... Any ideas? (Dave? you out there?)

REAL watercolor (soooo many fake watercolor brushes, again, just a picture turned into a brush, with no setting changes to make it act like a water color brush).

Splotchy Ink (same problem as every brush I've found today)

And if I remember right, wasn't there some perspective line brushes somewhere?

I wouldn't ask this here, if I could find them myself. I've been searching for the past hour and a half. If you got some brushes like these that are legal to post here, please hook me up!! Or just a link would be fine too, especially if they're pay brushes. Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #1

Sorry bud, I have some that fit what you want but they're done by a friend and he doesnt share them on the web .... I actually got them off him to see how they're made and generally don't use them directly, more as insperation.

I'd honestly sugest looking at making your own brushes. Also photo source brushes have their place they just need to be set up correctly. It may be time consuming as you begin but the more you practice and make brushes. The better your workflow will become, as you'll realise when you can make a brush for a specific bit of a picture.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #2

I guess my frustration was kinda showing there, huh? Of course it gets old, when looking for water color brushes, you run into, time and time again, photo source brushes that in no way at all, act like water color.

I've tried my hand making brushes, and some of the ones I've made are alright, but not nearly what I'm looking for. But I guess if this is what I'm gonna do, I netter dive right in there, huh?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #3

I found a few brushes in this pack that I liked. It does have a couple of photographic brushes in it but for the most part they're custom made to mimic traditional techniques.

http://eraserx.deviantart.com/art/Ph...ushes-77303422
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #4

Check out Blur's Good Brush set. Some very solid brushes in there.

Edit: Make sure you read up on how to make the most out of them here.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #5

Thanks for the links. I'll be checking those out in just a few.

Jamie, I can not for the life of me find the download link on that site. I'll keep looking though [EDIT] Found it!!! finally...

MBT, thanks for that link man, great read and possibly killer brushes. Big thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #6

Knight:
    Scribe: 5
    Check out cghub. They have a whole section for people to upload brushes, and the forum-goers there are real artists, not just Photoshop hacks.

Another great source is ImagineFX magazine. Every issue comes with a DVD packed with WIP files, video tutorials, and of course brushes. It's just an all-around great magazine for anyone into digital painting.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #7

Thanks, Walrus, that's a great idea. Never thought about checking a magazine for this kinda stuff. And what a great site!! I had no idea cghub existed. Thanks a lot, man
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #8

I'll help out have you heard of MELANIE DELON. Well shes a regualr judge on imagine fx and paints the most colourful and realistic portraits.

anyway she has put her fav brushes up for download on the 1st link and describes how shes uses them on the 2nd :P.

Brush pack
    http://www.melaniedelon.com/?p=606

explanation of brushes
    http://www.melaniedelon.com/?p=510

hope it helps i cant live without them
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #9

Oh plus there is a kool brush tutorial by the genius Dave Rapoza AKA Mr Delicious on GA.

link
    How to Create a Sketch/Blendin Brush - www.DaveRapoza.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #10

Hey, thanks, jolo88. I forgot about that dave rapoza tutorial. And the brushes on the Melonie Delon link look like they'll come in handy very soon.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #11

You really need to spend more time on polycount
    Post your photoshop brushes thread
    my contribution to that thread:

I make use of the Nagel series a lot, but the out of the zip naming conventions are really a PITA to remember whats what.

So here's the Nagel brush sets, or the most useful ones from 1-38 renamed to sort by type as well as with their set name descriptor and series number all in the file name, so you can make sens of what you want to load. The names also show in ps's brushset loader dropdown if you put them all in the brushes folder in your PS directory for easier set switching.
    EG: FX - Hair and Fur - NagelSeries12

There is also a galaxy stamp set and an older collection of Fogmann's texture brushes in here.

Renamed Nagel Series Brushes Here 23ish MB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #12