Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Dominance War V - 3D -Darbeenbo - Goddess of the Damned

Cool Design! Love the HR Giger "boob-huggers" :P
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #61

@Captain Narway: I'm not too sure where I'm headed with the color scheme yet. I may take a zerg-like approach with the greens and purples though. We'll see.

@rorozilla: Thanks. To be honest I wasn't sure where I was going with them either. I just kept messing around with them until I found something I liked. The cheeks are bit accentuated, I'm pretty happy with her femininity thus far, but I'll keep that in mind. For the nose and lips I was looking at some images of Scarlett Johansson.

@Polygoblin: yeah, they were pretty fun to make too. Thanks for the kind words.

So now I'm going to start creating the low poly. I've never really done this with a character before so any tips or pointers would be appreciated. Right now, I was just going to export a decimated version of the sculpt into 3d coat and try to retopo a lower sub-division of my mesh in there. So, is there a way to have the hi-rez as a reference in there while editing a lower sub-d mesh?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to creating the low poly?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #62

very nice amount of details.. i would be careful with symmetry .. it is looking very symmetrycal right now.. try and break up the forms a bit... good job keep it up.!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #63

Yeah, she is perfectly symmetrical at the moment. I'm not really sure where I would go about breaking it up though. Perhaps some damage to a horn, or shoulderpad? I've been toying with the idea of giving her a demon scythe as well, but given my schedule and whatnot, I'm not too sure if I can fit that in with the time-frame.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #64

Just about done with the low poly here. I've got a bit more optimization to do, and a few areas where I can throw my extra tris into. I went ahead and used 3d coat, and it is a pretty cool program. It could get a little frustrating at times, but that's just how it goes.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #65

Ya done yet? Are ya are ya are ya? I'd comment on potential wing deformation issues but I'm sure you're aware of that issue. Let's some texturing now brah!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #66

Mr Narwhal, I am not done yet! Although I will be texturing soon....ish. Baked out some normals with Xnormal. Decent results, but theres a lot of artifacting and bad stuff going on, but right now I'll hide it with dramatic lighting! As for the wing deformation....uhhh...I guess I'll just wing it. I'm sorry for that one. Time to get some rest and get right back to into tomorr.. err.. today. If I can't get the results I want in x-normal I'll try doing some transfer map action in Maya.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #67

Allright, so I still need to fix a few small issues with the bake, the most noticable of which is the seam in the wing, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with the way she's looking thus far. I need to start doing some color blocking in as I'm still pretty lost as to what kind of scheme I want to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #68

purple and red hues on the body and yellow and pale green on the wings I think would look cool
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #69

Wow! that bake turned out fantastic!

I keep envisioning her as either fleshy Red or Teal.

Then with a shitload of subtle colour strokes.

Like, layer light blues on the wings
    Bits of yellow on the bone areas to look like they're decaying.

Maybe some stripes, and pale/cooler areas where sun would theoretically not hit.

I dunno. I don't think there's any way you could really screw her colour up. Just make sure she's not too dark.
    Jacque Choi
    Senior Character Artist
    Eidos Montreal - Deus Ex
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #70

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll make sure to try those combinations out. This is my first pass at a zerg-like color scheme.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #71

Clericon: 3
    Scribe: 2
    color scheme looks pretty good!
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    My Portfolio
    Artstation
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #72

using zerg for color palette right? ZERG RUSH NOW!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #73

Zerg palette indeed!

But now I'm having much more troubles with this normal map seem issue than I thought. So I've got the wing mirrored on the x and z axis, but the interior of the wing is a bit different where it converges with the body on both the front and back so I wanted to make it have unique texture space. I've tried just about everything I can imagine to fix this, including flipping the sepperate color channels of that section, baking it out with uvs backwards, upsidedown, upsidedown + backwards and cutting that section out, and previewed it in marmoset as well, because I'm told that maya has some mirroring display issues. Nothing seems to be working.

I'm really considering just making that section mirrored as well and rebaking/optimizing my UV space a bit better.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #74

So I couldn't figure out that normal map seem problem, so I redid my uv's to optimize the space better, then rebaked my normals/AO. I wasn't really feeling the zerg color palette, so this is my first pass at a new scheme and I'm liking it a lot more. I'm going to still add some more yellows and greens into the bony areas, and ad some more reds/purples int the fleshy stuffs.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #75

Looking awesome! The color scheme you have works well, it especially brings out the exoskeleton elements of the character/sculpt.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #76

This screams warcraft, lol. The bake came out awesome. Actually reminds me of an older piece of mine, except way better. Great stuff, keep it up.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #77

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. I think that this color scheme definitely is a bit more appropriate. I'm not really gonna have much more done in the next few days, but i"ll be back at it next week.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #78

i wouldnt date her for a million bucks great model thumbs up
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #79

yeah that color scheme is close to what I had it mine actually but was thing of the wings looking like they were rotting in some places but introducing the green color thats just an idea I had... I like the pinkish version as well now I'm torn lol I think they both look great flip a quarter and run with it you texture quick lol
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #80