Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dominance War III | Swisher | Myscete

Dominance War III | Swisher | Myscete

Dominance War III | Swisher | Myscete

Swisher has entered the competition!

Latest update:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #1

Just got my feet wet with mudbox; learned it yesterday and made a sketch today. Going for a more humanoid approach.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #2

its looking tight man.... keep going ....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #3

thanks dagoned. I finalized my character concept. I'm going for an aquatic warlord from an ancient underwater civilization. Thinking of going with some sort of aged gold armor on him. Changing his mouth area to a much more menacing sight. I'm going with two maces for weapons, still working on the details for those. I'm going to start modelling the base tomorrow.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #4

Here's today's progress on the base. Starting with the human anatomy then deforming for the fishy elements. Thinking of putting the gills on his neck so that they are closer to his lungs than on his cheeks. Also thought about giving him small fins on his face and a larger one on his chin like a goatee. Great job so far everyone, keep it up!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #5

Nice start The nose is disturbing me...keep it up
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #6

the wife has given me a new season of twilight zone over the past few special occasions (xmas, bday, vday). only recently have i realized she bought the box set in advance and has just been handing out the seasons when she sees fit. while i feel wronged somewhat, i do love twilight zone.

this piece reminds me of that, and so i must love it too.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #7

Thanks chaos and triatami. Glad you guys are liking it. Here's what I got done today. I'm going to go with claw-like big hands and feet; making the appropriate adjustments in the forearm and leg areas for them. I need to do something about the pelvic area as well, something's not working there. We'll see what tomorrow has in store for this guy. Comments and critiques welcomed and appreciated. Good luck everyone!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #8

Exclamation

Yo thats some tight work its coming along real nice, that nose is freaky looking. Keep it up.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #9

Here's the completed model with hands and feet. I went with tentacle fingers, they also it play into his weapons. He can swing his hands around and his fingers stretch but are really strong like a squid. The mace and axe are attached to the ends and he can also curl them up to hold it firm. I went amphibian with the feet because he can also walk on land. He's ready for mudbox.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #10

Switched gears a bit after getting some great critiques from some friends. Going for a a swimmer sort of anatomy, concave sort of chest and big arched back; exaggerated to point out the years of swimming these guys do. Havent really done any sculpting, mostly just moving stuff around and changing the design of the character. I also took out the jets in the nostrils. Figured that if the guy is swimming the jets should be pointed away from the direction he's going, like the octopus has. Going to instead go with what I had in my concept, little slits. Also, the ears are now going to be inset in his head so that they dont mess up the aerodynamics of the character. Comments and critiques welcome

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #11

Here's today's progress. I'm going to go in a deflate his muscle a bit more to make him look lean instead of bulky.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #12

Changed his stance and fixed some anatomy issues. Working on a facial pose, just tweaked general forms there. Comments and critiques welcome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #13

looks pretty good so far..
    the body doesn't look aquatic.. maybe add some fins in some places.. maybe arms and on back...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #14

Thanks for the critique road. I took your advice and added fins to the forearm and calf area. Here I've included a further progressed pic with the gills on the lower back-side area, below the rib cage. Also included is the armor, which is pretty much made of the skeletons of larger fish from Mere, Myscete's planet. This armor is more of a regal wear and also serves the purpose of intimidating more primitive creatures. Still roughing out the helm and just made the extracts for the chestpiece and pants. Going for an underwater dagger that is more suitable for combat if the situation arrises. He is much more of an invoker because of a lightning ability that he finds within himself, much like an Eel. Also gave his face an expression in zbrush. I had about 4 different expressions on separate layers and I decided on this one. I got motivated to write a background story for his expression and civilization.

A little background info: Myscete is from an icy water planet called Mere. His race of people are the Zivilis. He resides in an underwater civilization that surrounded by coral reefs and a huge abyssal ridge around the perimeter. Here's the rough draft:

Myscete is a great thinker and a superb military strategist. His race evolved from millions of years of evolution. With the strength of a shark, the intelligence of a dolphin and the gracefulness of a manta ray, his race is at the top of Mere's food chain or so they thought.
    Myscete was always intrigued by the zivilis abilities. He regulary went on spiritual retreats to discover hidden innate powers. On his last expedition, Myscete found a way to harness the electrical charges that occur between cells in his body. He can now imbue weapons with the power of lightning. When he came back to the city he found it in shambles. Dead bodies of his people, torn through with what looks like blades because of the sharp cuts. Myscete searches the grounds of his once magnificent and lively city in the hopes that he is not the last of his kind. After a couple of hours, he searches in a place no one would dare go, the abyssal ridge. Blinded by emotion and desperation he plunges through the depths of this huge trench looking for a ray of hope. At a depth of 5000 meters, 200 more than the zivilis can withstand, Myscete finds an escaped batalion of men. These men trained their bodies to reach depths way passed what they could take. The batalion tells Myscete that the machines did not come from the surface, they came from the abyss. They were on a reconnaissance mission to find out where the enemies emerged from. The day before last they discovered a temporal rift in the ridge right behind their settlement. Bent on revenge and anger, Myscete and his men made way for the wormhole. When they arrived the batalion were in a state of awe; but Myscete, ever conscious of the dangers of the unknown, had the look of worried puzzlement on his face. For tonight, Myscete and his group of brave men are going to encounter lifeforms with an insatiable thirst for blood...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #15

YEAAAASSSS!!!

very very nice.. I really love those fins.. nice job.. I think it really rounds out the character.. and I love the armor being old skeletons of dead fish...

for some reason his butt bothers me... but I don't have any suggestions...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #16

thanks road, really appreciate the critiques. yeah I'm probably going to make the butt area a bit more dynamic in the armor, or just add some pieces to it. I'm still on my high poly so i have a lot of room for experimentation.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #17

here's an update on the head armor and back fins, also worked on the hands and feet a bit. Gave him an older look so that he can fit the character of a wise thinker and military strategist; i think he looked too fresh before. Changing up the finger design as well. comments and critiques welcome
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #18

Finishing up the high poly sculpt. I changed the dagger to a coral staff adorned with barnacles and kelp. He is an invoker and uses the staff to channel his lightning ability. Thinking of giving the soft pearl areas a lightning effect. Comments and critiques welcome
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #19

I totally love how youve progressed from the start and hjave come up with something really unique
    Great job Looking forward to low poly and textures
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #20