Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comicon Challenge | Albers | Captain Planet

#1 kicks ass man. I agree, definetly feels less.... efiminate and more like an actual super hero than the old captain planet. Lovin the shapes and the appendages detached from the body. #3 has some cool stuff, i would incorporate some of those spikes on the forearm pad into #! but a little less pikes and a tad more crystals, or rocks. Great stuff per usual. Where's the illustration? :uhh:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #21

Hey Justin, these ones look awesome

i like #1 a lot, has a crater meteorite
    feeling to it, the orb in the middle feels like
    the life force of the character that brought it
    to life, really digging the overall concept you are doing
    with floating limbs and keeping earth eco materials on him.

would be cool to think of the elements, or materials he
    is gonna be formed of, if i remember well in the series, some kids
    summon the guy calling the elements right?

Keep at it , is looking great :thumb:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #22

This is real cool. The designs incorporating earthly stuffs to his body is awesome. Right now, I am thorn between 1 and 4.

Always love Captain Planet back when I was a kid. Man, they should bring him back now with all the global warming and waste.

More yeah!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #23

YES, I am so glad you're making a coolie Captain Planet!! That man deserves a makeover. Very nice work!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #24

I like the universe you are creating, seems pretty well solid to me as a "apocalypse & new era " theme going on! the bad guy Cap.Pollution will be real fun to see that fight! and GAIA also supporting him from mother earth spirit way! could be her face in the reflection of a water pond in the BG ...?

Love the guy #2-# 3 the back view ...I think separating his body to much its a nice feature, although makes him a bit 2 robotic, and somehow I still fight along to that side of design for him....:think: I love the rock and steam stuffs you putting into this crazy guy so maybe the separation process could happen, but not always looks like such?

Any ways crazy good sketch study ! and waiting for more:thumb:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #25

I'm stunned.

You transformed something cheesy, kitschy, and lame, into something hella cool.
    Jacque Choi
    Senior Character Artist
    Eidos Montreal - Deus Ex
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #26

Bravo Albers, definatly striking your own with this piece. Much more heroic with a strong jaw and eyes focused upwards.

I'd favor #4. Strong contrasting silouettes, large shapes complimenting smaller detail, and serious face / tone.

Big thing to watch out for, if your going to do "different elements" definatly play with mixing up your line work and forms. You have a lot of 'chuck' happening. Dunno if thats influence from your current project at work, or a phase. Remember other adjectives with your working silouettes and forms:

-Chunk
    -Overlap
    -Fade off
    -Indent
    -Extrude

Also, you've got strong shoulders on him, but you've got a bit too hefty V going on, coming down to such lil / thin ankles. Balance off the taper up topw with some element of weight at the bottom.

Other then that, keep rocking it. Looking great.
    Kiel Figgins
    Character Animator
    www.3dFiggins.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #27

Crickets...............................
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #28

more moremore more. more moremore more, we want more!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #29

ZDCoe - Thanks man, will fix!
    TheMagnetic - Thanks Gabe, your villian is looking awesome as well, thanks for the suggestions!
    onelung - Great ideas, they will be incorporated, illustration will hopefully happen soon...running out of time!
    robogabo - Thanks a lot for the comments man, you are right, he was summoned by a bunch of kids, I'm trying to figure out cool ways to work that elemental idea in and not make it lame..haha.
    scorn-maniac - Thanks dude! Glad you dig so far.
    PurpleTsuyoi - Thanks!
    axelalonso - Thanks man, I'm really trying to avoid a robot/rock man/Thing look...hahaha...hopefully it will start to show through soon!
    joxx - Much appreciated, still got a ways to go.
    kielfiggins - Thanks for the ideas and crits Kiel, good keywords, I'll be working those in and addressing the balance issue as well. Gotta get out of the Albers box...
    onelung - I know, too slow too slow...
    DejaVooDoo - It's comin'!

Okay, I had one more idea pass on this guy, tried to incorporate a few different rock looks, and added some weight to his lower body, still not sure about the forearms yet, those will probably have to go through a few more iterations...I'm also trying to make it look like his torso could bend a little bit, making the rock break where the muscle naturally would.

I gotta get working on that model sheet. Crits and comments always appreciated!
    Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #30

the model sheet is YOURS!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #31

This is looking awesome - can't wait to see more! My favorite's the globe in his chest
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #32

Awesome work man
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #33

Am I a horrible person if I point out the fact that Captain Planet doesn't actually have a comic, and therefore hasn't appeared on a comic cover?...:inocent:

Awesome design though, I love your sketching style :thumb:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #34

Yeah he did, I had it when i was a kid. Was from printed in '91-through about '94 / '95 ish? I really love this sketch, the interpretation of the planet on the chest is choice.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #35

My only chance in this comp is the evil rings!
    GO DEFORESTATION!....no effect..damn
    guess I'll just have to bow my head and....SUPER RADIATION!!!!!
    Impossible!
    well it's hopeless.
    You win this round good sir. Awesome stuff.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #36

Well I like the work you did on him for sure ! :thumb: the balance and weight reads best! I love the black rock texture , it has a smooth shape that was missing your concept but not any more! as for the hair shapes don't know will be great to see him with Cristal or rough diamond stuffs haha! so the green hair he had it's easier to understand in the new way of him! Awesome work! go go go !
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #37

Quote Originally Posted by Ksan View Post
    Yeah he did, I had it when i was a kid. Was from printed in '91-through about '94 / '95 ish? I really love this sketch, the interpretation of the planet on the chest is choice.
    Oh good I ran a few image searches and got nothing, but a wiki search reveals Marvel did a comic alongside the series. Sorry for the confusion, and lots of luck Albers! This is a really inventive take on a really igenius choice of character :thumb:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #38

:thumb: Astonishing work. Can't wait to see your final. Good Luck!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #39

20. Van
    I hope Captain P. doesn't lose the mullet I'm diggin that chest peace on him. This Captain Planet looks like he can fight global warming by just kickin its ass.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #40