Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Art Test Master List

Art Test Master List

Art Test Master List
    This list will be updated to contain a collection of links to freely available art tests that companies use as part of their selection process. I hope you find this list useful and please contribute any other art tests that you know of by replying to this thread. Thanks
    ----------------------------
    Tests are in the order they were added.
    • Splash Damage Environment Art Test
      20,000 triangle 'dock' environment section from concept.
      21/10/2008, Thanks to erik!

• Splash Damage Art Test [brief no longer online]
      1000 triangle 'watercooler' prop from concept.
      * Model from concept art
      * 1000 Triangles
      * 512 X 512 Diffuse/Specular/Normal Maps
      * Textured in a realistic weathered style
      25/10/2008, thanks to C Wong and Ritorian.

• Play.net Hero's Journey Art Test
      Texturing and low poly (1500) character modelling.
      21/10/2008

• Boanerges Studios Environment Art Test 1
      Texturing and low poly (500) 'window box' environment section from reference.
      25/10/2008, Thanks to Mtg_kirin

• Boanerges Studios Environment Art Test 2
      Texturing and low poly (2000) 'steeple' environment section from reference.

• Bizzare Creations Character Modeller Test
      Character sculpt and texturing.

• Bizzare Creations Concept Art Test
      Environment Concept to brief.

• Bizzare Creations Environment Art Test 1
      Model and texture 'Gotham City' building facade to reference and brief.

• Bizzare Creations Environment Art Test 2
      Model and texture a realistic building and environment from concept and brief.

• Bizzare Creations 2D/Graphic Design Task
      Conceptualise and produce finished menus and artwork for a racing game.

• Unknown Worlds Art Test
      50 hours to model, UV, and texture a game ready 1500 Poly rail car asset from concept.
      30/10/2008, Thanks to Ooghijmiqtxxa

• Cauldron 3D Art Test
      Model and Texture Environment from photo.
      * Model the cottage from the included photo, unseen side is up to your imagination.
      * 2500 Triangles
      * 1024 X 1024 Texture Maps
      * Model MUST NOT contain holes or overlapping polygons
      * Included PDF and source website are in Slovak
      04/12/2009, Thanks to ghost-d

• *link removed -->* Fidelity Logic Art Test *<-- removed* NEW
      Model and Texture Character or Environment.
      * Character Model
      * Create a non-graphics, stylized, kid friendly, cartoony zombie character (ex. Plants vs. Zombies)
      * 1200 Triangles
      * 512 x 512 Texture Maps (RGBa 32bit Targa)
      * Optional: Extra Maps (normal, specular, etc.)
      * Optional: Rigging & Walk Cycle
      * Environment
      * Create a cartoony, stylized environment of your choosing with the theme 'US Army'
      * 7000 Triangles
      * 2 x 1024 x 1024 Texture Maps (RGBa 32bit Targa)
      * 3 Unique 'Hero' Props
      * 512 x 512 Texture Maps (RGBa 32bit Targa) Per
      * Optional: Extra Maps (normal, specular, etc.)
      * Optional: Extra 'Hero' Props
      * General Requirements
      * All textures must be hand-painted (little to no photo sourcing)
      * Applicant must include original sketches
      * Any 3D Package is acceptable
      * Submit Renders of completed work (may be asked for working files)
      * Deadline is 1 Week from date issued
      * View specification sheet
      28/01/2011, Thanks to TheQiwiMan

----------------------------
    Please post any links you have to this thread and I will endeavour update this list as soon as possible. Please only post links to FREELY AVAILABLE content (PLEASE DO NOT POST THE CONTENT ITSELF AS AN IMAGE OR ATTACHMENT).

ATTENTION: IF YOU ARE THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER TO ANY OF THE RESOURCES HERE AND WANT THEM REMOVED PLEASE PM ME OR CONTACT ME VIA ANY OF THE MEANS LISTED IN MY PROFILE AND I WILL REMOVE IT FROM THE LIST AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THESE WERE POSTED WITH THE INTENTION OF BEING A LEARNING RESOURCE. THANK YOU.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #1

Excellent idea temmik!

I know of atleast two art tests that could be added to that list.
    Ones making this water dispenser that everyones doing these days.i think that ones for splash damage aswell? correct me if im wrong!
    Good idea to make this a sticky aswell
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #2

Thanks for that, do you remember what the brief was? Even the general gist would be good.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #3

Hey I did this test awhile back the specs and limitations are on my site just scroll down and you'll see my version, right above it is a brief describing everything limits and so fourth. cheers

link - http://mvick3d.wordpress.com/wip-amphibious-man/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #4

Hey thanks Ritorian, I have updated the zip and the list. Cheers.

Some cool stuff on your portfolio blog there btw, nice work!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #5

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #6

Thanks Mtg_kirin, some good ones there!

List is updated! Mirrors are up.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #7

Scribe: 2
    Not to sound like a downer, C Wong, but if it was taken offline then there was a reason. Reposting it when it was purposely removed may be a violation of the original artist's IP right and the Splash Damage web site's terms of use. Just sayin. This general notion applies to any such test here. Make sure that you're not stepping on any toes, legally.

Nice thread idea though. Very constructive for those looking to get a foot in the industry or seeking to understand what it takes. I'm making this thread a sticky just so that everybody can see it.

EDIT>> Also moved it to "general discussion" since this is not technically WIP stuff.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #8

Erm... whoops. Better get rid of it. If anyone wants it, just pm me.... Not sure I should be saying that either.... I'll try and get permission off of someone then re-post when I do. Sorry.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #9

Quote Originally Posted by C Wong View Post
    Erm... whoops. Better get rid of it. If anyone wants it, just pm me.... Not sure I should be saying that either.... I'll try and get permission off of someone then re-post when I do. Sorry.
    Don't worry about it man, the image is still there on the site, just the brief is down. I will amend the first post with a notice that anything will be taken down on request. I don't think there will be any problems, as long as people don't abuse these tests if they were freely available at some point I think it is ok to have them here as a learning resource.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #10

yeah...definitely be careful with this. I think it's a great idea for a thread, but occasionally you'll find a company that definitely doesn't want their materials posted ANYWHERE online--particularly if they're hiring for a certain style or genre or unannounced game that want to keep secret.

If you get an art test and want to contribute to this thread, just tell your point of contact about this thread and ask if it would be ok to post. This list could become a great resource!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #11

Quote Originally Posted by temmink View Post
    if they were freely available at some point I think it is ok to have them here as a learning resource.
    I think that the key part of your post is "at some point." Just because they post it once doesn't necessarily make it public domain. Just because they make it available "at some point" doesn't give people rights in perpetuity. They still hold the IP. Fair use does have its limitations, even where educational purposes are concerned.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #12

BTW, temmink. You're probably on shaky ground actually mirroring their stuff yourself. There's a certain provision in fair use to allow for archival, but mirroring stuff more or less amounts to redistribution - a right you aren't expressly granted. Even public libraries have legally imposed limitations regarding redistribution and reproduction. CYA and consider removing the mirrors. If the original source site goes down, just remove the link. I'm sure that there will be other similar tests to replace the removed ones. The best way to keep this list relevant is just to keep it updated with the latest links.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #13

Your probably right Cooke and I am happy to take your advice on the matter. I'll edit the list now and take down the mirror. Don't want to cause troubles It's a tricky line and the best thing is to ere on the side of caution.

Thanks for the sticky btw.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #14

Bizzare Creations Character Modeller Test model's UV Map seems to act up, and it causes problems when baking normal maps (it caused my normal maps to have seems). We're aloud to re-UV Map it, correct? I did and it baked fine afterwards

Just thought I'd put that out there if anyone else is having the same problem...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #15

I'm sure that if there is some problem with the map and you fix it and explain why and what you had to do then it's probably a bonus for your application (if not a sneaky part of the test ) Thanks for the heads up.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #16

I have sent spacemonkey a pm and he seems to think it's ok, and he works at splash damage.
    Unless he is the original artist or the one who first authorized the posting on Splash Damage's web site, this document really shouldn't be here... technically. As a "mere" employee, his legal rights to that document are non-existent. I doubt that this thread here is a threat to anybody, but the dubious legality of posting it here is fairly clear.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #17

Quote Originally Posted by cookepuss View Post
    Unless he is the original artist or the one who first authorized the posting on Splash Damage's web site, this document really shouldn't be here... technically. As a "mere" employee, his legal rights to that document are non-existent. I doubt that this thread here is a threat to anybody, but the dubious legality of posting it here is fairly clear.
    Add to that that the image is still available at the link:
    http://www.splashdamage.com/images/c..._concept01.jpg

which is on the list above (2nd entry) so there is no reason to repost it, also it would be better for the thread NOT to have a bunch of images in it as it will save people bandwidth if they just want to check it what interests them. So if you can remove the image anyway that would be great.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #18

No problem.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #19

Hey guys,

We have something like this here at Unknown Worlds. You can go ahead and post this in the original thread if you want.

link removed --> unknownworlds.com/art_test <-- removed
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #20