Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comcion 2014 | 3D | StrongRum | Superman

Comcion 2014 | 3D | StrongRum | Superman

I think I will go for Superman... Keeping it simple :-)

Name:  superman-unchained-1-cover.jpg
Views: 11334
Size:  165.4 KB
    Last edited by StrongRum; 02-10-2014 at 10:48 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #1

Knight:
    Wizard:
    Lazyyyyy :P, good luck .
    ----
    Portfolio | Twitter | Comicon 2015 Entry
    Character Artist - The Creative Assembly.
    Thanks
    StrongRum thanked for this post
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #2

I am going for Stand and here is the backstory...

The year is 2156. Superman hasn't been seen for over a 124 years. The majority of earth is under lex corps control. Earths climate has changed dramatically since Lex attempted to harvest the suns energy years ago. The sun has been deteriorating ever since which continues to weaken supermans powers. Along with this Lex Luther figured a way to infuse his cybernetic body with kryptonite and that of all his robot soldiers and military machines. Superman was unable to stand against Lex Luther and his forces and was almost killed. He used the last of his energy to escape to the Fortress of Solitude. Which is where he has been ever since, he was only able to observe from there…

Years passed and superman grew weaker and weaker, unable to fly and losing most of his superhuman abilities. He was helpless… there was nothing he could do…it seemed all was lost…

… Time went on and Superman spent most of his time searching through the databanks of his crystals. Learning things about Krypton that he never new, things about their culture and technology. He learned of the different armours and suits that were built for the warriors. He learnt about their science... All this information sparked him to attempt to start experimenting with advanced crystalline technology.
    Years passed and finally… he made a breakthrough!

He had figured out how to create a substance that would completely mirror the effects that a yellow sun would have on Kryptonians and it also protected from the effects of kryptonite, although It would only work when in direct contact with the skin. It was then that he knew that he would have to create a new suit and infuse it with this new substance...

...The people of earth oppressed by Lex corp and living in fear, who after years of hearing stories of the once powerful superman and only wishing that a saviour would help them... look up to the sky as a figure descends with a red cape blowing in the wind. Could this be true, who and what was this? The more he descends the more people gather… until 2 Lex corps enforcement robots approach and order “Stop! identify yourself!” Shining the lights on the figure everyone notices a glow forming on the figure, starting from his limbs and leading to his chest… suddenly a symbol is formed and within… the letter S!

The figure disappears in a flash… people gasp and then suddenly the sound of very loud crunching metal and 2 explosions fill the area… The robots fall to the ground!

From the wreckage a figure ascends…

Superman is back!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #3

Here is a quick ref sheet I put together... I will start working on the concept this week and should hopefully have an update soon :-)
    Name:  MoodBoard.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  120.5 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #4

Ok I have managed to begin designing the kind of suit/outfit that I would want my imagining of superman to have. I still need to go into more detail, not sure if I will bother do that in the concept, I might just do that once I start sculpting. I am still going to design a back view though to give me a general idea of where I want things to be. Thanks for checking, any comments or crits welcome :-)

Name:  SuperManFrontView.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  94.6 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #5

Knight:
    Wizard:
    Good stuff Kav, maybe look at some of the "Injustice" sculpts for superman too for ref as he has quite an armoured look in that.

Good luck mate .
    ----
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #6

Cheers Baj, I just checked out some of the sculpts and they look pretty cool, I'm looking forward to getting into it. Good luck to you too :-)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #7

imo the armor pieces on his jaw don't go that well with superman. Taking a look at your reference sheet, all armor sets end at the neck.

The torso could use some variation in shapes, thickness etc.

Hope it helps.
    Keep it up.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #8

Cheers for the feedback... I think you are right so I am going to play with it in the sculpt and try out a few things. Anyway here is a small update, I have started the body... it is still wip and isn't finished, i haven't even touched the hands yet but I thought it good to show progress...

Name:  Wip_01.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  40.4 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #9

Knight:
    Clericon: 1
    Nice the first thing that jumps out at me are his hips look feminine, i don't know as it could be the angle of this image.
    By the way my guy killed your guy.

Don't be to bothered, i am playing around like a dumb kid and telling all the super boy/girl entries he killed superman.
    Just a friendly dumb little thing to hopefully encourage entries.

Also another contestant generously helped me with my muscle anatomy problems, i was still in the sketching faze but otherwise wouldn't have known about this search if it wasn't for jmiles: Do a google search for this and you will find some really helpful forms of muscle anatomy, i went into the images section with this search:
    Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier
    Comicon Entry!
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #10

Clericon: 3
    Scribe: 2
    Looks good so far!
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    My Portfolio
    Artstation
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #11

Cheers guys... thanks for the heads up for the strength training anatomy :-)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #12

Knight:
    Wizard:
    This is awesome so far Kav, looking forward to seeing what you do with the armor.
    ----
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #13

Knight:
    Ah, cool back story. Never thought of the idea of an anti-kryptonite suit and your concept looks cool. I like the progress too but the anatomy could need a little bit more work(unless you're gonna cover all of that with armor-parts that don't follow the skin surface that much. But the head could need some more love as well, at the moment it feels like the area of the skull on the sides of his head near the eyes is too wide. The chin could need some more volume and the ears could need some more refining.
    Other than that it looks nice.. Keep it up!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #14

Cheers guys! @goraaz Cheers for the feedback! I am going to give the head more love soon, I kinda just roughed it in but I am defo going back to it. Anyway I have been working on a concept sculpt of the suit to try and block in details and get some ideas. Here is where I am at so far... I think I am happy with the general broad shapes, I might posssibly change some details when I build it properly. I also want to try and add a lot more details also. I'm hoping to start building the suit properly next week, I should be able to implement any cool feedback by then. Heres hoping :-)

Open the image in a new tab to see a larger version.

Last edited by StrongRum; 01-22-2014 at 09:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #15

Knight:
    Clericon: 1
    Looks great!
    Comicon Entry!
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #16

Cheers dude... Looking forward seeing your finished piece!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #17

Looking good mate, my only crit is the legs look overly long compared with the proportions of the upper body....maybe its the angle of the render......feel free to ignore me if it is.

Keep it going
    Portfolio
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #18

Yeah your right, I was thinking the same thing afterwards. I have done some tweaks to it now and after some feedback and a bit of re-evaluating I decided to try out some new Torso details to make it look less busy. I'm kinda thinking of something along these lines? What do you guys reckon?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #19

Good hardsurface going on here. Good luck in the competition!
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #20