Thread: Comicon 2014 | 3D |molossus| Domu Cho | Stand

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Comicon 2014 | 3D |molossus| Domu Cho | Stand

///UPDATE////
    Attachment 52059

This looks like a lot of fun!
    Well I was thinking of going with Gunnm but I figured there will be a few others of her so I decided to go with Cho from Domu a childs dream.
    He is a twisted old man gifted with extrasensory powers silently holds sway over an entire block of apartments, whose occupants are puppets for him to control.
    I am gone go for stand as he returns after a few years more evil than ever .

Name:  domu_v01_001.JPG
Views: 19995
Size:  109.5 KB
    This is gone be a great challenge!
    Good luck Everyone!
    Name:  official-entry.gif
Views: 981
Size:  10.4 KB
    Last edited by molossus; 01-12-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #1

So after a couple of hours I have a first impression and a direction. Used a lot of insert meshes to suggest the part needed would be really difficult too do if there was a polycount limit . Those are just place holders and will be replaced. The overall impression for me is that it might be going too realistic at the moment and I might stylise it a bit more. He looks a bit too much as angry Miagi from the karate kid . I will have another look at it in the morning.Name:  wip1.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  31.3 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #2

So took an other look today and decided to change the face no more mister Miagi and add some senile elements. I changed also some proportions to make him a tiny bit more stylised. I realised most of you don't know this one so here is the description of the character which will hopeful help an bit to understand.
    Chojiro Uchida - also known as Old Cho, he is a senile old man who lives at the housing complex. Old Cho has psychic powers which he uses to murder other occupants of the complex.
    His apparent motive for the killings is to possess an item belonging to the victim, which Old Cho then takes as trophies. The old man believes that his murders and the chaos resulting from his actions are more like children's games than actual wrongdoings, and he often acts like an immature child.
    I am still sketching at this point the only thing I am sure of is the pedestal as it is typical for Otomo to visualise force fields.
    Comments and critiques are welcome!
    Name:  wip2.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  68.1 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #3

browsing through the treads I realize I seem to be the only one doing an old guy. I wonder if he still fits as an action figure for this challenge?
    Otherwise I still can change...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #4

This is a very interesting character man. I see no reason to change unless you are unhappy with your choice...who cares if he's old!
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    My Portfolio
    Drawcrowd
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #5

Very interesting indeed, really like the concept sculpt ! Keep up !!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #6

Thx for the replies! I thought I might have missed somthing (wouldn't be the first time ) I'll carry on then!
    Well holiday is over so it will be more lunch-crunching on the flip side I have access to keyshot again
    Looking back at him to day his emotion is way too angry I have to make him much more senile happy and more stylized still
    Name:  untitled.461b.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  27.7 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #7

So tried to make him more senile today by making the iris surrounded with white he looks more insane in my opinion. Also tried to pose him using the transpose master which helped a lot to define the stylisation I am after. (mostly in the arms). c&c welcome.
    Name:  wip3.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  33.5 KB
    the compression is eating away quiet a lot of detail is there a way to have less compression?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #8

I don't know the comic book, but the character sounds and looks awesome, I love the progress so far! Are you going for a game character? That would be cool x]
    As for the compression.. I agree, 900px width is reaaaaally to small nowadays. Try using imageshack or some equivalent image hosting website
    Last edited by armians; 01-06-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    _____________ _______ ____ __ ___ _
    porfolio and BlizzardFest!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #9

Great and fast progress! Subscribed.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #10

@armians thx I am gone try different uploads maybe that will work as for the game character I don't know yet if I have time I still have to make a lot of props
    @ dimfist thx !

I focused on the anatomy today tried to get the same feeling of the sculpt yesterday but keeping the symmetry for the main body thought.
    This time I would like too have a solid base to work on instead of covering it up with a lot of details and hoping it will work out in the end.
    Still not there yet especially in the side view...
    Name:  wip4c.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  123.6 KB
    Name:  wip4d.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  148.3 KB
    Name:  wip4b.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  126.9 KB
    Name:  wip4a.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  146.6 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #11

Lunchcrunch overpaint: Still a bit stuck with anatomy and propotions so thought I take a break and do a quick overpaint in Photoshop seems like tthe legs could be much slimmer still. The colors will still change allthough I am gone go for vivid colors like this I think.
    Name:  op.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  46.5 KB
    Name:  opNo.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  32.1 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #12

He looks so cool and super kawaii!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #13

lol I had too google kawaii but kawaii is exactly the direction I am going
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #14

damn there are a lot of amazing great works at Comicon 2014!

Worked a bit on the overall form trying to match the coloured overpaint. Basically making the hands feet bigger and the legs slimmer. To up the WTF'ness a bit I worked on his backpack.
    It looks like a fat green velvet teddy bear with pink fairy wings who is wearing clean white women underwear with a bunch of carrots stuffed in it. Two watches because the symmetry was still on and fancy red superman boots. Hope it will become more clear in color.
    Everything still has to be stylised a bit more looking for volumes at the moment.
    Still have a tons of props to do...
    feel free to C&c

Name:  wip5d.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  44.5 KB
    Name:  wip5c.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  46.1 KB
    Name:  wip5b.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  62.2 KB
    Name:  wip5a.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  43.5 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #15

I think you'll have to make the backpack actually look like a backpack, 'cause here it looks like another character/pet, looks alive, and we can't do that ( it's in the rules ).

Awesome idea anyway ^^.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #16

I love your idea and i loved the manga. Don't you think by the way, he would look older than in the book?
    Look forward to see the updates man !
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #17

Oh man, so so creepy in an awesome way! I agree that the backpack looks like another character at the moment so you really have to make it look like an object...even puppets and dolls aren't allowed so you have to be very careful.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    My Portfolio
    Drawcrowd
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #18

Thx for the comment guys!
    well I read the guidelines carefully and I interpretted that it just couldn't be a lifeform. And the backpack/teddy bear isn't a lifeform. However I can also see your point and how I might just cross the line.
    At the current stage it does look like an extra character...but I still have to add the stitches and some zippers as I originally planned. I have some other toys in mind which would also be cancelled if this is not allowed . This character steels from children so having no toys/puppets might be tricky...
    So this is what i'll do: I'll sculpt the backpack how I intended too and then I'll ask if it's allowed before continuing.

well in my version of the story it's about 13 years after the facts of the comic. Back then he had a social helper but he didn't for the last 13 years. So he lost a lot of weight because of mal nutrition, basicaly his powers kept him alive.
    The head is really lowrez at the moment, and too realistic looking in comparasion with the rest of the body so it will still change and probably be older also.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #19

So tried to quickly sketch in the direction that I want to go with it.
    I'll ask on the forum if it's allowed.
    Name:  uploads1.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  38.4 KB
    Name:  uploads2.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  25.5 KB
    Name:  uploads3.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  45.6 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #20