Thread: Comicon 2014 | 3D | Spawn - Final

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Comicon 2014 | 3D | Spawn - Final

"For years, spawn had done all what he could to fight for what he believed to be good. But the world still continued to go down, with all its dooms and curses... Then humans began to think all this evil came from Spawn, the same one that protected us all over these years... They went for a rush to find the lord of hell and found his secret place, in the bottom of a dark street. The found his throne, made of trash and they found him. With weapons, artillery, tanks and helicopters, they tracked him, for days, as unfair and wrong as it could have been. Fed up with hiding and running, he understood they would never leave him alone, then he turned back... and faced them...."

LATEST UPDATE :

Hey everybody,

Nice to come in all this. So much awesome stuff already.
    I will challenge, introducing HellSpawn with some graphic style influenced by Ashley Wood, Kent Williams or whatever, i'm not sure for the moment.

Happy new year everybody, i know i'll learn a lot during this contest.

Cheers !
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by StandingMonkey; 03-17-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #1

Here are my first research sheets. The first one is the HellSpawn by Ashley Wood, as i chose him and the second is for graphical references featuring Ashley Wood, Dave McKean, Georges Pratt, Kent Williams and Jeff Simpson. One of my goals is to manage to get such results playing with realtime shading.

Name:  SpawnHero.jpg
Views: 1501
Size:  71.1 KB

Name:  SpawnGraphicStyle.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  79.7 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #2

I love ashley's artwork, good choice!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #3

Check out who's here
    Nice to see ya around man! Wanna see some crazyness on your spawn! References are great!
    Looking forward to see some updates!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #4

Hey You ! Travis Bickle ! Glad to challenge by your side !
    Ubeor thanx for the nice comment !

Guys this contest's gonna be great ! Looking at the threads i know now i'm just here to participate... So much heavy dinosaurs of the game art ! My god this skill !
    Here are a few sketches i did to figure out what my character would look like.
    I'm lazy ! I want to 3D !

Hope you'll enjoy !

Name:  SpawnGlobal.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  59.2 KB

Name:  SpawnSheet.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  72.1 KB
    Last edited by StandingMonkey; 01-13-2014 at 02:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #5

Woww! Sketches looks really great man! You going for a more cartoonish style? Cuz I'm pretty sure it would fit with your design...kinda hard edges like this:

Name:  SPAWN_X.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  63.6 KB

Keep it up man! Wanna see it!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #6

Concepts are awesome. u sure u dont wanna just switch to 2d?
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    My Portfolio
    Drawcrowd
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #7

@Travis_Bickle : I really want to fit as much as i can the dirty style of Ashley Wood, seeing how it could render in realtime. See, like this kind of stuff :

So this wont be realistic but not cartoony neither. Hum well, i'll try, im not really sure where it will lead me
    Thank you for passing by great man !

@Sarakawa : Mate your comment just makes me wanna hug you. The fact is i'm fed up with drawing, i'm a 2D artist actually so i participate also to learn stuff and increase the few skill i have in 3D.
    Thank you so much for your comment, and i hope the result wont disappoint you ! And same way, i dont know if i have more skill in 2D ahaha

Cheers Guys !
    Last edited by StandingMonkey; 01-14-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #8

Hey guys !
    After three days and 3 nights working on zspheres, my spawn is almost finished. Damn it !
    Nah, joking, how late i am. Just did the structure with zspheres and will start the block mesh with dyna"awesome"mesh !

Hope everyone is ok
    Peace guys !
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #9

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #10

Good start with the zspheres. One thing about zbrush, it'll be easier if you keep your res low for the initial block in. Not sure how much experience you have in it but I can already tell you're prob sculpting too high already. It will be WAY easier to control if you lower your res and get all the rough basic form in first. Looking forward to more!
    ____________________________________________________________________________________
    My Portfolio
    Drawcrowd
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #11

You got a challenge ahead man Not only makin a character but taking it into a particular style U love the risk
    Wanna see some more updates! Keep it up man!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #12

You're right Satochi, i actually suck at 3D workflow, i never found the right way to work. I think i'll do as you suggest, thank you for your kind advice.

Ayi, i now take your comments as a "Daily encouragement" ! You are the one that convinced me to participate ! Thanks again man !
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #13

I like your concepts so far
    As for 3d sculpting , its the same as 2d art, all about the silhouette. Then interior details should follow through and compliment the outside shape and vice versa.
    With style like Ash's, you may have to have a clear mental visualization from all sides of the character shape before shaping your mesh.
    Once you have that, hit it hard and fast, go with your aesthetic intuition and don't over think it, let it evolve, and adjust in passes all over the mesh don't stick to one part..
    Bonne chance e bon courage!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #14

Antc ! Thank you so much for your useful comment. You are totally right, i will work in a more "global" way and then go to details later.
    Yes you are right about this "Ash's version of spawn", in the comics he never has the same look on each page.

Thank you again and Bonne chance à toi aussi mon ami
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #15

Have been working on global structure as i see it, according to ashley wood's comics. I really want to focus on the Spawn, standing on the cover of the book, cause he looks exactly as i would see THE TRUE HELLSPAWN !! Damn it !
    As i am a perfect sucker in workflow, i'm done for now in zbrush, i'll now continue in 3Dsmax to retopo, unwrap uvs, do basemesh for other elements, and, then, will be back in zbrush to resculpt and detail and bake all that stuff.
    He is close to what i would like him to look like

IF YOU HAVE ADVICES ! I Take'em
    Hope you like it by the way !
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #16

I used my last dynamesh grab to make a quick paintover, to figure out what elements i'll have to add.
    I wish i could get some thing in this way with the 3D model.

Respect and peace to all of you guys.

Greg.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #17

Quote Originally Posted by StandingMonkey View Post
    I like this silhouette the best, as it's the closest to the style you are aiming for. Looking at your sculpt, it didn't translate that well. Like everyone said, don't pay that much attention to the details, don't spend much time on the anatomy if it isn't your strong point. Try to recreate that silhouette while giving just a hint of the underlying anatomy. Also, when working on the muscles, and every other detail for that matter, try to vary their intensity .

In conclusion, work it like you would make 2d. Try to keep as much from that concept as possible. Those big hands and skinny arms make it look great, not the anatomy. Hope it helps.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #18

It helps a lot Sir Nikudy ! You are really helpful and i didn't expect so much help joining this contest. You guys are really great and i'll try as much as i can to apply your advices.
    Thank you so much.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #19

man, If you manage to nail the Ashley wood style in 3D like you are talking about, this will be freaking epic!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #20