Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Comicon 2014 | 2D | Gintonio | Wolverine

Comicon 2014 | 2D | Gintonio | Wolverine

Hello everyone,

I hope I am not too late to join this fun event I decided to do the good old (literally) Wolverine. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to accomplish but my skills are pretty limited and I would appreciate any help, advices and/or critique you guys can provide! so far I made a sketch and rendered it in grayscale a bit. Images are coming in the next post.

Last edited by Gintonio; 01-20-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: misspelled name
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #1

Good Luck! ;]
    _____________ _______ ____ __ ___ _
    porfolio and BlizzardFest!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #2

So, this is what I have so far... My initial sketches and a bit of rendering. I do realize, that the composition is wrong at the moment. I am adding more space on the left and one more character (yes... just another pair of legs ) in front of the Wolverine. He is not that hurt at the moment, but I will brake one or both his legs, cut his arm and he is going to get a gunshot here and there. As I mentioned - any help would be appreciated
    Attachment 53061
    Attachment 53064
    Attachment 53065

P.S. Thanks Armians - huge fan of your and Kestas' works, best of luck to you guys!
    Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #3

4. FredH is offline Administrator

Awesome start!!! Love the shading and the expression is gold! The legs is a great idea for a crowd. Will you have someone as an opponent or just sort of leave it to the viewer's imagination (which is cool)?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #4

Amazing work, this is really cool!

Superman | Stand
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #5

Awesome sketch! Be interesting to see finished work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #6

Incredible! Love seeing the beginning work. This looks almost done in terms of polish. Can't wait to see color.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #7

It's looking VERY good, man. This one almost fits with the current stuff. I'm pretty sure wolverine doesn't currently have his healing factor.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #8

super, very emotionally sketch from face to body pose. Bravo!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #9

Hey, thanks for the positive comments guys I'm catching up on the forum and there are really strong and interesting entries Lot's to do and catch up.

FredH - just the legs, we will not see who did this to Wolverine I hope other people will get the Idea as you did!

Womball - coloring will be a difficult part for me :/ and this is probably the first time when I try to render details in grayscale and add color later. I am a bit afraid to get the values wrong and that it will look poorly in color :/ I will have too look up some tutorials online (any tips would be awesome).

Rocu - yup, his healing factor is gone or suppressed in this case. Maybe he got shot or stabbed with something made out of carbonadium. Maybe they were trying to drown him before... I am actually thinking to make this scene in the rain so you can't tell if he's wet because of rain or he was weakened on purpose, but not sure if I will be able to render wet environment properly, so it's not decided yet

I hope I will have an update today, to show the final composition. Also I will go through other entries and post some comments if only Dakar won't distract me too much
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #10

salvation
    very nice beginning, I am waiting more forward
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #11

Awesome start and a nice idea. Its always good to hide the enemy and only give a glimpse to let the viewer imagine as thats more scary, waiting for colours
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #12

I would start with base color overlays in a layer above the gray scale. Play around with different layer screening methods, like multiply, screen, pin light and etc. Build your colors up with low opacities as well. I believe there was an oil painting technique which you started up with your grayscale value painting and slow add up low opacity color washes. That technique is similar in spirit. I think this is in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpf2xcwzExo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5RvvF3u4p0
    Last edited by womball; 01-18-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    Comicon 2014| Bane| Stand
    Thanks
    Gintonio thanked for this post
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #13

Really good idea... continue...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #14

So here's a little update. Thanks Womball, I checked out the videos and will try to add some colors next
    Name:  wolverine_wip_04.jpg
Views: 2309
Size:  31.9 KB
    Last edited by Gintonio; 01-18-2014 at 10:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #15

Knight:
    Scribe: 5
    Really nice job on the muscles!
    I get that you're trying to leave it to the viewer's imaginations who the opponents are, but I have to confess, in my imagination all I see is a bunch of non-super-heroes are 3 seconds away from having their tibias and fibulas sliced in half. Especially that guy on the left: Dude, don't stand so close to an angry guy with adamantium claws!
    Anyhow, have fun and good luck with the coloring!
    Michael Dashow / walrus
    My Portfolio / My art on Facebook
    My ComicCon '16 entry: The Scarlet Lich
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #16

Hey, thanks for your reply Walrus! Yes, sadly I have the same feeling. Also I don't like those legs on the left at all. Pesky little feet... Will rework those from the scratch and maybe I will find a villain with a signature legs or just add more weapons (there's a Colt 1911 in the image but it's hard to even see). I hope adding wounds to Wolverine will help to convey the desperation. The thing is that I actually not sure how much of gore is it acceptable to use :| on my sketch on paper he has his guts spilled out on the floor... Which is way too much for the final image I think... Anyways, will try to update something today.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #17

I really love the emotions on the face and yes I agree that Wolverine isnt someone to be taken lightly even without healing. I'm also doing him so feel your pain here, hehehe. Also if youve watched the movie you'll see how many skilled fighters were needed to take him down along with loads of chains and hooks near the end of movie. Maybe you could have more imaginative weapons in there, including taser wire dangling down from one guy maybe to show they electrocuted the crap out of him also, or even in him to allow for some extra lighting from the taser shock
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #18

Hey guys. A small update. I opened my psd file today and realized that I have a messed up perspective in my image... Tried to fix it - didn't happen... so I'm redrawing the background which alters Wolverine's pose a bit. Also I'm taking your advice guys and putting in a villain responsible for beating up the wolverine. I don't know if I will leave him as Wade but the doodle I have now will work as a place holder. Is it any better? Any suggestions?
    Name:  wolverine_wip_05.jpg
Views: 2146
Size:  38.6 KB
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #19

Knight:
    Scribe: 5
    Having a supervillain in there certainly makes it feel like Logan hant just slash out and take him out: No supervillain is that easy, and no one would be stupid enough to get that close without knowing for certain that he'd be safe. For the background badguys (as well as the earlier legs on the left) I think it's the slacks that say "push-over" to me. Some sort of armor or tech-looking leg gear or even robotic legs (or supervillain legs) would feel more overpowered than dress pants.

Also, gotta say I love the red (and the rest of the color) in the new pic. What you have now certainly isn't too much gore. In fact, you could easily take it further by putting some massive cuts or gashes or bruises on him and as long as the blood and guts aren't pouring out, I think you might be fine. Right now - bloodpool notwithstandind - he looks to be in pretty good health aisde form the split lip. I wonder if there's any other way to convey that he does not have his healing abilities in your take on him. I mean, I get your explanation that he doesn't have it in this pic, but how to better convey that without you saying so? Someone not having read that could easily assume that he'll be fine.

Anyhow, looking beautiful with the color and the rain. Wonderful painting work!
    Michael Dashow / walrus
    My Portfolio / My art on Facebook
    My ComicCon '16 entry: The Scarlet Lich
    Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #20