Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Comicon'15 | 3D | Fin Fang Foom - Doomsday

Comicon'15 | 3D | Fin Fang Foom - Doomsday

Time to join the fray. I'll be mixing these guys to make a force to be reckoned with.

When I heard about this starting up, I knew I wanted to make something with Fin Fang Foom and did a few quick sketches/paintovers before deciding Doomsday could be the most fun. Even though my sketches are simple, for the final I'm planning to take this guy to a more complex level of detail than I usually go with things.

Right now I'm trying out some different proportions. I think I might go with the bulkier A or D for this, but I tend to change my mind as I go so we'll see!

Attached Images  
    Last edited by OrganizedChaos; 03-04-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #1

Knight: 4
    Nice choice - I hope for the sake of quality of puns he will be called Foomsday!
    Comicon 2016 Entry - Squirrel Girl the Dullahan
    Comicon 2015 Entry - Power Girl x Phyla-Vell
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #2

Foomsday! XD I was tempted to title this Fin Fang Doom, but that's even better!

Some progress for today, just figuring out proportions a bit further and a little bit of head stuff. Next I might mock up some rocky patterns. I really want to get into some fine detail with this and play with some alphas instead of sculpting it all like I usually do :P I don't know If I'll go with having hair or not, still trying to figure out what kind of balance to have here.

Last edited by OrganizedChaos; 03-04-2015 at 10:24 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #3

nice start, I'll follow this one^^
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #4

Very good work at sculpting!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #5

Nice sculpt so far. From the last image I like more the one with hair and short neck....that one makes a great new creature, meanwhile the other one is more look like a dragon (which is cool as well )

Great work
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #6

Bleh, out a few days with a computer upgrade there. At this point making the deadline is either going to take some effort or an extension XD It would be nice to finish a comicon entry for once so we'll see.

I like the shorter neck too it's definitely a bulkier approach. It was kind of starting to look a bit more gargoyle than I'd like though, so I made a few adjustments. Marking the areas where there'll be some of the bigger spikes here. Dunno about the ears I'll probably nix them hrmmm :P
    Last edited by OrganizedChaos; 03-11-2015 at 10:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #7

I guess I lied :E
    Decided to spend tonight working on the face

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #8

Very good idea and really nice modelling! I'll keep checking this one!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #9

Sick sick sick, the face looks really Sick if I already didnt say SICK
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #10

11. FredH is offline Administrator
    The face looks amazing. Really love the details and proportions. Great work thus far man!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #11

Knight:
    Scribe:
    This sculpt is awesome, looking forward to seeing this one get finished out.

I wouldn't have thought it possible since that's clearly a dragon, but it doesn't look much like Fin Fang Foom.

I was never fond of the fin like things on the sides of his head in the comics, but without them this looks like a generic bony dragon.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #12

Thanks guys! glad you all like things so far!

h2olt- I've been thinking about this a lot, had the ears for a while but i can't say I'm a fan. They don't make him look any more 'fin fang foom' to me, so they're not worth it imo. I'm not sure about the tendrils or not, I've held onto them as a subtool. I was thinking that those fin things on his chin could be replicated with the jagged spikes from doomsday but maybe that's not enough. I might need chin fins as well. I guess I've also been wrestling a bit with "how much doomsday? how much fin fang foom?" But I guess in the end if I do just end up with a generic dragon I'll still be happy with it as a personal piece :P

Er, oh and i revisited the neck scales. They were too similar to the forehead scales/spikes for my liking :P
    Last edited by OrganizedChaos; 03-16-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #13

wowah ! i missed this ?!
    This entry is sick ! HUGE !

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #14

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #15

This is an awesome sculpt. Awesome! But I'm not getting Fin at all. He's just a really bad ass dragon sculpt. I think the dumb head fin/ears and tendrils would help.
    Your Friendly Neighborhood SpiderClops - Crits welcome

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/t...derman-Cyclops
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #16

I don't know, I'm not really convinced the ears make this guy more 'fin fang foom' enough to be ok with how they clash with the horns. I'll probably keep the tendrils and maybe the chin fins. Was hoping to finish up the sculpt by Tues, guess we'll see how that goes... maybe it'll be Wednesday

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #17

Knight:
    Wow very detailed horns and scales!
    Very nice!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Portfolio
    Comicon 2015 - The Red Winter
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #18

Almost finished with the sculpt- I still have a few more spots I want to touch up that no one will notice but me :P but hey, ready to move onto the lowpoly next!

Also, I need to figure out what I should do with the colors. More green more blue more a mix. Hrmph

Last edited by OrganizedChaos; 03-20-2015 at 08:28 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #19

Siiiiiiiiiiiiick!

Xd
    Jacque Choi
    Senior Character Artist
    Eidos Montreal - Deus Ex
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #20