Thread: Artem's Max Tutorials

Artem's Max Tutorials

I'll try to keep this thread updated with any tutorials or workflows that I create to share with you guys. For now here is a custom material I created for rendering and showing off my high poly models. There is a lot of expansion upon this setup that can be done, and I highly encourage people to try to expand and try new things with it to achieve results they are happy with.

If there are questions, concerns, or comments feel free to post them here.

High Poly Material rendering tutorial

I have also been thinking about creating a tutorial for my high poly to low poly game mesh workflow with simple and advanced objects [weapons, vehicles, props, etc.] If this is something that people are interested in, or have a different desired tutorial you would like to see please let me know!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #1

I would be very interested about that high to low workflow you mentioned, as im sure alot of others would be!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #2

Seconding interest on the high->low tutorial.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #3

Knight:
    Clericon: 1
    Echo the two replies above!

Thanks for the tut. link.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #4

I need to know all that you know.
    AWESOME little tutorial!
    B

I'd really like to know the workflow, and how you go about getting the edges to look so crisp.
    My new process is using planes to get the surface shape then using shell, slapping on one turbosmooth with smoothing groups selected then another turbosmooth on top of that without smoothing groups. But I imagine you have way more awesome techniques. Also, How would I wrap complex objects around an organic body? Using Bend/taper or any of those modifiers tend to chump the high poly forms and warp them to an unacceptable level.
    HELP!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #5

Also, How would I wrap complex objects around an organic body? Using Bend/taper or any of those modifiers tend to chump the high poly forms and warp them to an unacceptable level.
    Spoke with Parnell about this earlier but I wanted to make a more in depth post incase it came up again from someone else.

Usually for complex objects that you plan to wrap or conform to other shapes and objects, especially organic ones, a good way to go is to path deform your desired shape(s) to your base object. Path deform will translate your selected object to a path, usually a user created spline that you can place wherever you like.

This modifier is located:

Modifiers>Animation>Path Deform

You will see a "Path Deform" and "Path Deform (WSM)" - The difference between the two is Path Deform is an object space modifier, and Path Deform (WSM) is a world space modifier, so use them appropriately.

If I am building a complicated piece that will need to line up pretty closely to already existing organic geometry, I will go into edge selection on my base that I want my new objects to line up to, and select, or create and select, an edge flow that I would like to create a path out of and hit create shape from selection which will create a linear or smooth spline out of your edge selection. This is great for keeping your line precise to your specific mesh.

IMPORTANT

Get familiar with the modifier and understand how to build proper meshs for deformation. Just because you build a sweet asset to path deform to your other object doesn't mean it will subdivide or assemble your pieces perfectly for you. These are things you will need to keep in mind while building these specific pieces, make sure you have enough slices or subdivisions in your mesh and that your detail will deform properly along your chosen surface. I know this stuff can be pretty common sense, but we all forget sometimes. Just something to keep in mind to help you achieve the best results.

For the High to Low workflow, I will work on getting something together for this. I will probably start with a simple tutorial for this to explain the method and then later down the road do a step by step through a more complicated asset.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #6

thanx for the tip, and abut the low poly and high poly, that will be nice :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

MY DOMINANCE WAR IV - BARATHOR
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #7

thaaaaanks for sharing

Any news on the high to low workflow?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #8

This is something I'd definately like to know more about, a tut would be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #9