Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Male/Female Topology?

Male/Female Topology?

I was just wondering if any of the talented artists here with good knowledge of topology could just simply post wires of any male or female models they have done(front, back, side). I currently only need male, but female reference would be nice for the future.

I have really been trying to get into the topology of things to better understand how I can get the most detail out of my model. I know face topology enough now, but I'm really looking for good body topology to reference for both sexes. Any and all help is appreicated. Thanks!! :lucky:
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #1

Great idea !
    How make a good topology fo best deformation is question I ask me really often and I don't really answer yet !
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #2

I'm not too concerned about my ability to get the most quads for deformation, I've just never become familiar with the general edge looping on the body.

How to make the best topology for deformation is simply as quad like as possible. But the CGTalk guys may argue that point(I was reading a post over there about how tris and nGons are good...).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #3

I'm pretty much a beginner but hey here is what I can find of previous work.

Enjoy!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #4

How to make the best topology for deformation is simply as quad like as possible.
    Not really. If you look at this great [link removed--] tutorial [--removed] you can see that sometime, you have better deformation with less polys.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #5

I suppose, but it also depends on how you paint your weights. I don't go bat-s*** if I have a few tris in my model, but the general consensus is that a model should be quad for the best compatibility all around. That's just how I was taught.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #6

Bard:
    Knight: 5
    hey guys, for lowpoly here is a good example:
    Spiderman Lowpoly

the (REALLY)lowpoly models from fuxer are also great:
    Nero DMC4 Low Poly

Altair (PSP)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #7

Quote Originally Posted by Mrpearlzildjian View Post
    How to make the best topology for deformation is simply as quad like as possible. ...).
    Not sure who informed you about that, but that's hardly true. The key to having good deformation is having a solid poly/edge flow (and weight painting skills). If you create stars at deformation critical points, you're going to see pinching and other nasty artifacts, which you don't want.
    This is especially important in facial animation. A wonkey facial topology will give you bad looking animations.
    Wether you use evenly spaced or elongated quads, triangles or ngons, it doesn't matter if your flow is solid.

For games, this is slightly different, as topology for realtime models doesn't really matter that much. Because of the low poly count, you can get away with some serious smoothing on the weights.
    The only parts that really need solid optimized topology are joints such as the knees and elbows to prevent twitching, stretching, etc... when these are bent.
    The link Guedin posted illustrates this point perfectly.
    Good weight painting in that case doesn't help you much, because you don't have enough vertices to effectively compensate for the deformation artifacts.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #8

I'm not disagreeing really, I'm just saying I was taught the general approach is quads. Honestly, all models are triangulated in nature anyway(or at least that's how they're rendered in games), so like I said, I don't go crazy if I have tris in the model, because they usually deform fine.

I would appreciate if we stopped debating this though, I was really just looking for others approaches to edge flow since I'm in the middle of retopologizing, and it would help if you all could keep posting your wire samples.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #9

Are there any more good examples for wireframes? Would like to see some good examples for good edge and poly flow.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #10

Here 's a great model imo ... i really like this one because since I saw it i understand that it's best to build your model in one piece than one object by piece of garnment, especially to avoid artifact whens you generate normal map

Wireframe
    Model
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #11

The best thing to do is just look around at lots of people's galleries and artwork. Start collecting a lot of reference and then later see what other people have done, and compare with what you need. I have a lot of reference gathered but I don't want to share other people's work. It's all available online somewhere.

You should probably learn by doing. Figure out what kind of loop flow deforms the best. There are tutorials on some of this stuff around. Also a lot of the time you end up with shapes that you need to have on the model that will mess up a perfect topology. There's no definitive "right" topology for the body as far as I know. Just expiriment
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #12

~ Check last years comicon entries

Ensure that you ignore the pictures that Integrated posted. They are horrendously bad meshes.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #13

Ouch - what's wrong with them?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #14

Scribe: 2
    Yeah. I think that DreameR was a little harsh in the way he singled you out. However, I agree that your chosen examples are not quite the best. The edge flow is pretty haphazard and messy. There's no definition. No working with the musculature. Not to mention that the anatomy is all off on both of them.

I'll dig up some good samples from my morgue and post them in a couple of minutes
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #15

Integrated- The anatomy is pretty bad, and there's a lot of errors on the overall shape. For example, you have a kink in the middle of the forearm on the male, you also have what seems to be a bulge of fat on his ankles on profile view.

The poly flow is better on the female but there's still overall shape problems. For example her arm starts at her shoulder, but as it moves towards the finger tips it just....gets pointier. There's no indication of a forearm and her hand is extremely flat.

You have to learn more anatomy and understand poly distribution, and not have a chunk of them isolated to one area, when they're not being used to hold up the form.

Your texturing seems pretty good, but this was suppose to be a edge flow example, and it's not a very good one at that.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #16

I keep tons of reference images on file here. Some are just helpful when I'm looking for inspiration. Others are helpful when I've hit a difficult problem and want to see how somebody else solved it. Anyway, here's a dozen or so images I've collected over the years. I don't remember the artists for everyone of these pieces so I can't properly credit them for you guys.

None of them are perfect, but I think that there's something to be learned from every image here.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #17

Good shit, Mr. Puss! Hey is that Lara Croft a comparison between PS1 and today's specs?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #18

Yep. Well, iirc, it's a comparison between the original PC Tomb Raider from 1996 and the 2007 Anniversary remake.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #19

Thats what I'm talking about!

Fantastic reference and a very glad you grasped why I posted this thread, lol. Thanks Mr. Cookepuss
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #20

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast