Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Comicon Challenge 2009 | silent_fox | Magdalena

Comicon Challenge 2009 | silent_fox | Magdalena

Comicon Challenge 2009 | silent_fox | Magdalena

silent_fox has entered the competition!

Latest Update (September 15):
    I added my lighting setup and material setup on page 9

Latest Update (August 31, 2009) - Finished!!!!

Beauty Sheet

Presentation Sheet

Construction Sheet

Texture Sheet

Concept Sheet

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #1

Yep, it's another babe and she's from Top Cow (my favorite comic publisher right now). Why another babe? Well, I'm gonna keep practicing until I can make pretty decent-looking female model. Plus, female characters are more challenging and fun to make in my opinion (not because of the obvious things).

Anyway, on different note, the reason I put Angelus also in the avatar is because she'll be my next choice if I change my mind. I picked Magdalena because I think it's more feasible for me to model her since I'm in-between PC now (I should get new CPU and motherboard in next 2-3 weeks). Thank goodness I still have my laptop but I can only run ZBrush and Photoshop on it. Anyway, hopefully, I can post some work soon.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #2

Nice choice bro, seems sorta similar to your Dom War entry, thought maybe you'd mix it up, anywho it's your choice. look forward to seeing how you approach this. good luck bud
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #3

Thanks for the support, man. Yeah, Angelus does look like my DW entry because I used her as reference for the DW. I think I'll stick with Magdalena because when I look at her pictures, I realize I can have fun with her armor design. Anyway, quick sketch of her. I promise I'll make better style guide than this later. Also, I've been thinking making her hair shorter since it's easier to model. What do you think? I'll make some sketches of her new hair later.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #4

Sweet the Magdalena changes with every 'chosen one' so you could combine some elements of all of them unless you intend on sticking with Patience; regardless I'm looking forward to seeing how you do her up!

The Angelus would no doubt be an awesome choice as well, especially done up in 3d with those wings and wicked armors. I'm considering her for my potential 2d entry but don't let that change your mind. As a fellow Top Cow fan I'll be watching your progression
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #5

Wow, you know a lot about Magdalena, maybe you should be my consultant for this project . But yes, I'll be combining some elements with my own stuffs too. No, I'm not doing Angelus since she looks more like DW entry. So if you wanna do Angelus that'd be great!

On different note, I've been thinking about working on Power Girl (I love Adam Hughes) but I think that'd be the next project.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #6

great choice man, this should be cool
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #7

I dig Adam Hughes as well, I hope to god I can get in on his panel at Comic-Con, he's giving a demonstration of drawing pinup girls.

I'm certain I can attain some new ideas/techniques etc., from him.

Oh and I'm glad to see you are combining elements. I'd be delighted to be a consulter haha! I'm not a definitive Magdalena expert or anythign but I have read the Magdalena trade with Ebas artwork on the cover just like your collage of images, it was a good read!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #8

Thanks for the support, guys!
    Rayartz: That'd be awesome if you can meet with Adam Hughes (just make sure you get his autograph and sell it on eBay lol j/k)

Quick Sketch:
    I'm just playing around with her proportion before I move on to the actual sculpting. I think the face need lot of works and the proportion is still not there yet (still somewhat manly). Plus, I still don't know if I wanna have her hoodie on or off and how to approach her hair. But here's my update for tonight. I think I can finish the 3D sketch pretty soon and move on to the actual sculpting.
    Anyway, any crits/comments would be helpful and are greatly appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #9

Looking great so far. This will look awesome per usual.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #10

Yes looking really good thus far.
    I really like the corset type top very Magdalena ish
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #11

Thanks for the nice comments! Here's my updated style guide. I think it'll grow as I move along. I wanna go for the type of leather that X-men wear in the movie and loose leather for the pants/chaps. As for the swords, I was thinking about changing them into more Celtic swords because I always think the katanas look kinda off.

Updated Sketch. I changed the design of the corset because I wanna incorporate some pouches around her waist like the references. I'll add some mockup hair after this.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #12

Could we get a close up on the detail? Or are you still refining it?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #13

Sure, but I should warn you it's really messy right now because I haven't really done the actual sculpting yet. It looks alright from distance but it's a mess close up. The purpose of this exercise is to get the feel and look of the character right first (and proportion in my case). Then once it's done I can use the sketch for reference for my actual sculpt.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #14

Ah yeah i see what you mean still looks pretty cool.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #15

Looking real good, dude.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #16

hey man, good to see some progress. I'm just checking out the competition to make sure I don't do the exact samt thing as you
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #17

You so fast, I just make a concept
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #18

Haha I actually saw this on Deviantart before I saw it here!
    (advantage of watching someone)
    I had no idea they made an Magdalena figure---I WANTS!

So anyway I think she is look'n' really great, I like the subtle decorative nature on the armor, just like the comic books.

I see some swords but what of the spear of destiny?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #19

never heard of this character, but by judging by the references you've posted, it looks promising.

nice beginning on the sculpt, even if I prefer the big protection like in your refs on her arms. like the one on the second pic on top.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote #20

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast